Had a period about 5-10 years ago when I bought interesting old guitars, the more odd the better. Basically a market research, I was curious about how different details affected the sound. Swedish instrument history was also interesting and you can not get more Swedish than the "Swedish lute". Bought an Alfred Brock tilt dated 1934 at an auction, built a year before Alfred passed away. Alfred is one of the big names in this tradition, he provided Evert Taube with lute in the 1920s and was a Royal Court Instrument Maker. Brock modernized the "Swedish lute" which has a long tradition from the end of the 1700th century. He was the son of Nils Nilsson, a famous Swedish guitar builder around 1900. There is a lot of information about both the “Swedish lute” and Alfred Brock online.
This lute had number 875, according to Wikipedia he built a total of 892 lutes. The condition was good except that the bottom had cracked up considerably. It came in its original case. My idea was to repair it when it was purchased. Already then I had realized that extra bass strings are not for me, but this one had only two! It ended up in the store more like a curiosity. An interested customer wanted to buy it and I did the job, also had the opportunity to study it in detail.
To fix the bottom, it must first of all. It went well, but a complication was that the bottom continued as a "tie" on top of the curved neck block. With the help of my heat lamp that heats to about 70 degrees without damaging the paint, a thin spatula and some water, I got the bottom loose without damage. The ribs were almost completely loose and when the bottom shrank there was nothing that could hold up. The problem was that the glue-soaked cloth that reinforced the joint on the two-part bottom had not been cut off under the ribs. The skin glue becomes strong only if the two wooden surfaces have good contact with each other.
Squeezed the two halves together in a jig and glued the ribs. The ribs were narrow and high, about 7,5 mm x 21 mm. The lid and the bottom were very firmly raised and the stable plate in the maple was relatively thick. Screws through the stable down in the maple plate were unnecessary but functioning because they sat screwed in hard wood. A wooden screw had been screwed in through the neck pad into the neck foot.
The menstrual cycle was short, only 55 cm. Equivalent to the mensur on a Terz guitar, like a regular guitar but with a capo on the third band. The short menstrual cycle and the strong ribs as well as the ebony board meant that the neck was straight and the string height good despite stringing with fairly strong steel strings and steel strings as a base. Have ordered a set of "doubble bass" nylon strings (overgrown "baritone" nylon string guitar) which has three thick bass strings with which you can replace the rusty originals. Shipped it with original bass strings, the customer can assemble the new ones himself.
It seems to be a good craft, but maybe a little too high ribs for the best sound.
An interesting detail is the scalloping on the top straps, probably to facilitate thumb grip. For the sake of unusualness, this was a very serious original renovation, no attempt to make it sound better 😉